Oops, nearly missed this! JURN is now four years old.
Inkling is making its $30m digital publishing platform, Habitat, available free to everyone. There’s even a special academic version, with tight Google Search integration. Inkling takes a 30 percent cut of each sale via the Inkling store, but waives that if you’re a bona fide academic.
It seems Inkling is going free in order to compete with Amazon — Inkling only has around 400 titles in its store and so obviously needs more if it’s going to match Amazon. Might be worth a look if you need to create ePub and HTML5 publications with…
“interactive e-books with HD video, interactive features and 3D content”.
The drawback seems to be that the DRM sounds ferocious, and there’s no mention in the FAQ of the ability to produce a DRM-free ePub. Which seems to imply that you get locked into Inkling as your sole distribution system?
How to get RSS feeds from a Google+ group:
1. Install the Feed+ for Google Chrome addon in your Web browser. Authenticate it.
2. Paste in the ID number, from the home URL of your target Google+ group.
3. The addon will then give you an RSS link for FeedDemon (or other dedicated RSS software), and also a link to send the feed to Google Reader.
My standalone FeedDemon software accepted and validated my test feed, and gave me a full list of the posts.
How to get RSS feeds from a Facebook group:
1. Grab the ID number of the Facebook group from the home URL.
2. Visit this Yahoo Pipes script — feed it the ID number and it will pop out a valid RSS feed for the group.
I’ve successfully used this to plug a Facebook group feed into the sidebars of several blogs.
How to get an RSS feed for any Facebook fan page:
1. Copy the end bit of your Fan page’s URL. e.g. the end bit from http://www.facebook.com/MyFanPage
3. Run this new URL in your Web browser. Note and copy the ID number, found in the code that is returned.
4. Use this ID number to replace the ID number in this URL: https://www.facebook.com/feeds/page.php?id=123456789101&format=rss20
You now have a valid RSS feed for updates on your Facebook fan page.