A quick note on the increasing tendency to wrongly use “Master’s degree”, instead of “Masters degree”, when referring to the Masters degree (the degree of the masters, not the degree of a master). Tonight I spotted “Master’s” occurring throughout the government consultation document on UK postgraduate loans. Open access to old books makes past usage into a sound and easily consulted guide, for those disinclined to open a dictionary. 60 seconds with Google Books, for instance, shows…

” … as in the case of a Masters degree” (Oxford University Calendar, 1850).

“the Masters degree to begin …” (The American Journal of Education, 1873).

A Study of All Masters Degree Graduates of The New York School of Social Work (1954).

Standards for Professional Masters Degree Programs (National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration, 1988).

The Masters Degree by Coursework (Australian Government Public Service, 1995).

Distance Education and the Masters Degree in Canada (University of Alberta, 1998).

One can also refer to a collection of “Masters’ theses” in America, it seems, though here in the UK I’ve only ever known of “Masters’ dissertations”.