I’ve given up on DuckDuckGo as primary search-engine, now that it’s just Bing in sheep’s clothing. They were an indeterminate blend of Bing and Yandex, but now they’re reported to have thrown out the Russian Yandex. So they’re now just another Bing clone. You can see it in the results. And who wants to use Bing for search? Ugh. Admittedly Bing has its good bits, these being Bing Images and Bing News. But the main search is not one of them.
Google Search thus now seems the best and only option, although you’re going to have to put up with and be able to ‘visually parse’ a lot more spam. I’m assuming you have the spam-iness locked down a bit, by using add-ons like Google Hit Hider. And that you see and can read the full URL path under each result (making it easier to detect pages pretending to be another site) rather than a ‘breadcrumbs’ URL.
So, Google Search it is, for now. Time for some light surgery on the Google Search interface, then.
1. I’m pleased to see that the UserScript Reorder Google Categories still works on Google. This allows you to re-order the items Images | News | Books | Maps | and have the ones you want up front. Then cruft like Shopping | Flights can be removed with the uBlock Element Picker.
2. The UserScript Alternative Search Engines 2 will then let you layer a set of links into Google, such that the current Google Search keyword “or phrase” can be passed over to other engines with one click. Works fine, and I’m pleased to see that JURN can be one of these links. Result…
To get this just edit the Alternative Search Engines 2 script code thus…
This hack now replaces the defunct UserScript I made a few years ago, to add such a JURN link to Google Search.
If you don’t care for Bing Images (see above code), Brave Images is basically Bing Images with a nicer and less fussy UI.
The alternate services are searched in a new window, so your current Google search session is not voided.
You can’t pass the current search keyword over to Google Books or Google News or Maps this way, because the script can only add it the end of each URL. If you could add it in the middle, then the user could do away with Google’s own bar of sub-links entirely. But Books and News have URLs that look like this…
As you can see, the keyword needs to be inserted in the middle. It’s probably possible, and maybe I’ll further hack the code to do that if I find time. Anyway, it all works well so far, with the dual link-bars that are both capable of capturing the current Google Search terms and passing them through.